Pentosan is quite an amazing anti-inflammatory that can be used in cases of osteoarthritis as a weekly therapy. Studies have shown that it can it can help increase cartilage is osteoarthritis joints. It has reduced pain an inflammation in osteoarthritis patients (Kumagai). It also works on infectious arthritis, which has been found more frequently in the united states in the last decade (Herrero). Significant improvement has been found in osteoarthritis. This has been found to be a potent anti-inflammatory agent as well that can be used to bring down inflammation (Ghosh).
- Inhibits metalloprotenase which are all about degradation of tissue
- Potential anti-cancer agent
- Reduce pain and inflammation with osteoarthritis
- Works on kidneys to preserve kidney function
- May prevent kidney stones
- Works on innate and adaptive side of the Th2 cytokines
- Nasal pentosan may help rhinitis, chronic sinusitis, and allergic sinusitis
1. Bobadilla, N. A., et al. (2001). Pentosan Polysulfate Prevents Glomerular Hypertension and Structural Injury Despite Persisting Hypertension in 5/6 Nephrectomy Rats. JASN, 12(10), 2080-2087.
2. Ghosh, P., Edelman, J., March, L., & Smith, M. (2005). Effects of pentosan polysulfate in osteoarthritis of the knee: A randomized, double-blind, placebo-controlled pilot study. Curr Ther Res Clin Exp, 66(6), 552–571. DOI: 10.1016/j.curtheres.2005.12.012
3. Herrero, L. J., et al. (2015). Pentosan Polysulfate: A Novel Glycosaminoglycan-Like Molecule for Effective Treatment of Alphavirus-Induced Cartilage Destruction and Inflammatory Disease. J Virol, 89(15), 8063-76. DOI: 10.1128/JVI.00224-15.
4. Kumagai, K., et al. (2010). Sodium Pentosan Polysulfate Resulted in Cartilage Improvement in Knee Osteoarthritis - An Open Clinical Trial-. BMC Clin Pharmacol, 10, 7. DOI: 10.1186/1472-6904-10-7
5. Nakatani, T., et al. (2002). The Preventive Effect of Sodium Pentosan Polysulfate Against Renal Stone Formation in Hyperoxaluric Rats. Urol Res 30(5), 329-35. DOI: 10.1007/s00240-002-0271-4.
6. Pienta, K. J., Murphy, B. C., Isaacs, W. B., Isaacs, J. T., & Coffey, D. S. (1992). Effect of Pentosan, a Novel Cancer Chemotherapeutic Agent, on Prostate Cancer Cell Growth and Motility. Prostate, 20(3), 233-41. DOI: 10.1002/pros.2990200308
7. Sanden, C., et al. (2017). Broad Th2 Neutralization and Anti-Inflammatory Action of Pentosan Polysulfate Sodium in Experimental Allergic Rhinitis. Immun Inflamm Dis, 5(3), 300-309. DOI: 10.1002/iid3.164.