Platelet Rich Fibrin
Platelet rich fibrin (PRF) is the upgrade to platelet rich plasma (PRP) therapies. PRF is filled with growth factors that have been isolated from your blood. These growth factors lead to better healing, decrease in pain and regeneration of tissue (Roy). Using PRF in different techniques related to musculoskeletal issues has been shown to improve healing and potentially reducing the risk of surgery. In many different orthopedic and sports-related injuries, PRF has been found to be helpful at reducing pain and healing tissue. Even chronic injuries can benefit from PRF therapy.
The procedure involves taking blood from the patient and using a centrifuge to spin down the blood. The blood is spun at a low rate to ensure that the growth factors and plasma are intact. After spinning down the blood, the platelet rich plasma is drawn from the mix and placed into a syringe. Injections at the site of injury are then performed using this product that is derived from the patient’s own blood.
- Sports related injuries
- Chronic non-healing injuries
- Joint repair
1. Caruana, A., Savina, D., Macedo, J. P., & Soares, S. C. (2019). From Platelet-Rich Plasma to Advanced Platelet-Rich Fibrin: Biological Achievements and Clinical Advances in Modern Surgery. Eur J Dent, 13(2):280–286. DOI: 10.1055/s-0039-1696585
2. Grecu, A. F, et al. (2019). Platelet-Rich Fibrin and Its Emerging Therapeutic Benefits for Musculoskeletal Injury Treatment. Medicina (Kaunas), 55(5), 141. DOI: 10.3390/medicina55050141
3. Karimi, K., & Rockwell, H. (2019). The Benefits of Platelet-Rich Fibrin. Facial Plast Surg Clin North Am, 27(3):331-340. DOI: 10.1016/j.fsc.2019.03.005
4. Raja, V. S., & Naidu, E. M. (2008). Platelet-rich Fibrin: Evolution of a Second-generation Platelet Concentrate. Indian J Dent Res, 19(1):42-6. DOI: 10.4103/0970-9290.38931
5. Roy, S. et al. (2011). Platelet Rich Fibrin Matrix Improves Wound Angiogenesis via Inducing Endothelial Cell Proliferation. Wound Repair Regen, 19(6), 753–766. DOI: 10.1111/j.1524-475X.2011.00740.x